Inspired by some wonderful mamas in the food co-op I belong to, I am trying my hand at sprouting again — this time with some Chana Dal garbanzo beans.
How to sprout beans
- Rinse dried beans, and soak overnight with plenty of water to cover.
- In the morning, pour beans into colander and rinse well. Place colander on a plate to catch the drips, set aside out of the way and cover with a tea towel.
- Repeat rinsing process morning and night until beans are sprouted as much as desired. Garbanzos need about 2-3 days, or until tails are 3/4 inch long.
2 cups cooked Garbanzo sprouts
1 cup tahini
2-3 cloves of garlic
4 tbls fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cilantro
1-3 tsp cumin
red pepper flakes to taste
extra virgin olive oil
- Toss everything into a food processor and puree.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add water and extra virgin olive oil if it seems too thick.
- To serve, drizzle with some olive oil and dust with paprika and chopped cilantro.
- Dip with pita chips or veggie sticks.