I came up with this dinner tonight when I was trying to think of ways to use the chicken meat I removed the other day off of the chicken I am making Perpetual Broth with. This recipe also uses some of the broth itself, which is great!
2 tablespoons butter
splash of olive oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped – except for a few matchsticks for garnish
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped – except for a few thinly sliced pieces for garnish
2 cloves garlic and/or a few inches of garlic greens
Celtic sea salt, to taste
1 cup cooked chicken meat, shredded
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 cans coconut milk or cream (unsweetened)
appx 20 oz chicken broth
optional: 2 tablespoons fish sauce
a few sprigs of cilantro
some red chili pepper flakes, to taste
Note: Reserve some of the coconut milk, carrots, red bell pepper and cilantro for optional garnish. If you’re not grain free, you can add a cup of cooked rice to it too.
- In a soup pot, heat butter and olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrots, garlic and red bell pepper and cook till onions are soft, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, fish sauce if using and chicken to the pot.
- Continue stirring and sauteing everything until curry powder is completely incorporated (appx 2-3 minutes).
- Pour chicken broth and coconut milk into the pot and give it a good stir for a half minute.
- Salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow the soup to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a spoonful of coconut milk added on top with reserved veggies, cilantro and red chili pepper flakes for garnish.