The Warehouse is also home to The Home Goods Library generously donated to us by Mychelle Moritz of Nurture, and originally funded by a grant from the City of Portland’s Planning and Sustainability Portland Recycles Grant Program.
What is The Home Goods Library?
Good question! Inspired by Swap-n-Play’s North Portland Preserve and Serve as well as the local Tool Libraries, the Home Goods Library is a collection of equipment and supplies for preserving foods, decreasing the amount of waste when you host a party or function, and other DIY projects.
Our Home Goods Library currently offers the following items:
The Serve Collection
- Tableware for 80 (dishes, bowls, cups, forks, spoons, knives, cloth napkins etc), which can be checked out when you have a party or large function to encourage you to forgo using disposables
- Cheese & Wine: fun mismatched wine glasses, various platters, place setting card holders etc
- Tea/Coffee Time: mugs, carafes, tea pots
The Preserve Collection
- Hot Water Bath Canners: 4 canners with rack + utensils
- Pressure Canning: 4 pressure canners + utensils
- Dehydrators: 4
- Steam Juicers: 2
Thank you City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability!
- Only residents of SE Portland neighborhoods, Know Thy Food and Portland Green Parenting Members and Local Non-Profit Partners are eligible to borrow items from the Home Goods Library (HGL). Borrowers must be over the age of 18. Items are to be borrowed for the sole purpose of personal or community use, but not for commercial use.
- Borrowers must register with HGL prior to borrowing items. Registration includes creating a reservation through our online reservation system and verification of the borrower’s identity. Verification is accomplished by presenting a valid photo ID displaying SE Portland address. If you have recently moved and do not have a updated ID, we will accept two pieces of mail plus a photo ID. Additionally, the borrower must print out, sign and return this WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION form, and provide a credit card number to secure the loan at time of checkout.
- By checking out an item, the borrower is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the borrower is authorized to use HGL items. The borrower shall not permit the use of items checked out to them by any other person.
- The borrower agrees that the HGL is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items or any injuries, damages, or any other form of disruption caused by the borrowed items.
- The Borrower agrees that if any borrowed item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, they will immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify HGL of the issue on return, if not earlier.
- All items borrowed are loaned for a period of one week or less. Items may be checked out on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during Know Thy Food operating hours, and are due back no later than 1 week after check-out. Items must be returned during Know Thy Food operating hours. Any item that is turned in late will result in a $1 per item (collection or piece of equipment) per day regardless of membership status or any other arrangement. No extensions are allowed.
- You must make a reservation through our reservation system. Reservations can be placed 30 days in advance of checkout date and must be made at least one day prior to pick-up. When you make a reservation please select the date that you will pick-up the item(s) and select the item you wish to reserve. You may reserve as many items as you would like. Each item requires a separate reservation, which can all be made in one visit to the reservation system.
- Items are to be returned in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean and in the same condition as they were when you picked them up. These items are not cleaned or sanitized by the HGL in between uses and you may choose to clean them again before your own personal use.
- The borrower agrees to pay a sliding scale borrowing fee* of $5-30 per check-out. The borrower also agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept HGL staff’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to HGL staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal replacement cost of the item plus handling and processing fees.
- It is imperative items be returned by their due date. As noted above (#7), a late fee of $1/day will be charged for any items not returned on time. When items are not returned by the designated due date, the HGL will issue an overdue notice. If the items are not returned within 1 week after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. HGL may replace severely delinquent items, holding borrower responsible for full replacement cost plus applicable handling fees. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
- Please arrive on-time to a scheduled pick-up time.
- A survey will be sent via e-mail following the return of borrowed items. This survey is vital to securing future support for the library and must be completed and returned (by filling out the form and then clicking the submit button at the bottom) EACH time items are borrowed.
- HGL retains the right to refuse the loan of any item to any person for any reason whatsoever.
- Borrowing rules are subject to change at any time. It is the borrower’s responsibility to read the rules prior to each check-out.
- To reserve, click the “Book Now” tab to the right on this site or visit knowthyfood.simplybook.me/index/about and don’t forget to print, sign and bring in the WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION form when you come to check out the items.